Wednesday, May 16, 2012

How can I find an inexpensive illustrator?

You've found me! 

All joking aside. My illustrator friends and I do offer quality and affordability. Most authors and/or publishers ask: "What's the ball park price to illustrate a 32 page children's book?" A typical response is: "One thousand dollars per page."

The author and/or publisher stumbles backwards, stutters, then mumbles, "I could never afford you!"

This quote is worst case scenerio before I review a project. As a professional I request to read the story, ask for a marketing plan, the budget, and then quote the project. Projects are priced on number of illustrations required not page count.

If a book has a spread, one illustration spanning 2 pages, it's considered one illustration. Therefore a 32 page book may only require 16 illustrations. The book may be 32 pages, however the illustrations don't equal the page count.

This is why my friends and I may be the inexpensive illustrators you're seeking.

Mark Wayne Adams
Award-Winning Illustrator of The Belly Button Fairy

No comments:

Post a Comment