I'm often asked to recommend books on becoming a professional illustrator. Below are my 10 best resources for aspiring illustrators. Knowledge is power, however applying the knowledge creates a professional. The list includes drawing books and business guides I consistently use as an illustrator.
- The Book of a Hundred Hands (Dover Anatomy for Artists), George B. Bridgeman
- Dynamic Figure Drawing, Bume Hogarth
- The Art of Animal Drawing: Construction, Action Analysis, Caricature (Dover Art Instruction), Ken Hultgren
- Animation (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series), Walt Disney Company
- Cartoon Animation (Collector's Series), Preston Blair
- Anatomy for the Artist, Jeno Barcsay
- Best Sketchbook, Use at least one sketchbook to practice the books listed above.
- How to Write and Illustrate Children's Books and Get Them Published, Bicknell and Trotman
- Graphic Artist's Guild Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines, Graphic Artist Guild
- Your Perfect Home-Based Studio: A Guide for Designers and Other Creative Professionals, Poppy Evans
Mark Wayne Adams
Award-winning publisher of Nicholas, that's Ridiculous! A Story About Being a Boy